What to drink during training? Yes, ordinary water will be a good choice, but in the case of a lot of effort it is worth reaching for a larger caliber, i.e. an isotonic drink. Today, we’ll show you how it works and how to create it at home with just a few products. Get Ready!
Why is it worth to use isotonic drinks?
During training, when you pour out hectoliters of sweat, you lose not only water. Your body also loses electrolytes, minerals and vitamins. This is why sweat can leave white marks on your clothes. How to deal with the loss of these valuable ingredients? In a simple way – fill them with an isotonic drink. Although you have the perfect isotonics at your fingertips, and among the various flavors you can even pick, a quite effective isotonik also prepare in your own home.
What is an isotonic drink?
Isotonik is a drink that is designed to restore adequate hydration of the body. At the same time it is equipped with a similar number of molecules of constituent substances as body fluids in the human body. Importantly, isotonics most often contain also simple sugars with a high glycemic index, so they are not suitable as an ordinary drink, which will replace us every day with water. Due to the increased calorific value, they should be used during increased physical effort, as a form of quick delivery of energy injection. For isotonic drinks with a reduced sugar content, it is also worth to reach during hot weather when we sweat profusely.
A popular mistake is to confuse isotonic beverages with energy drinks. Although they have many common features, such as additions of juices, minerals or vitamins, they differ in composition and effect. Isotonic drinks are created only to hydrate the body and supplement depleted mineral, electrolyte and vitamin resources. Popular energetics also contain stimulants such as caffeine, taurine or guarana. Another significant difference is that they contain carbon dioxide, while isotonics used during training must be still.
Recipe for homemade isotonics
Only a few ingredients are enough to prepare home isotonics:
1. Water (mineral, spring or tap water): contains valuable minerals, including magnesium, potassium and calcium, is responsible for the transport of nutrients to the cells, participates in the processes of digestion and cleansing the body of toxins, and at the same time carries other substances, such as enzymes or hormones. Water is essential for life, therefore ensuring optimal hydration of the body is paramount.
2. Honey: although in the first place it is an excellent source of easily digestible carbohydrates, unlike sucrose (white sugar) it also contains minerals and vitamins. By adding it to cool or lukewarm water you will not lose these valuable properties, as is the case when adding honey to hot tea.
3. Kitchen salt: sodium chloride – a well-known kitchen salt, it is a rich source of sodium, which is the ingredient necessary for proper muscle work (no contractions) and the brain. Sodium binds water in cells and prevents excessive dehydration. Takes part in the water exchange process and raises blood pressure. It also prevents weakness and syncope occurring during prolonged endurance exercise.
4. Lemon: lemon juice will add a pleasant taste to your home isotonic drink, and also provide a number of valuable ingredients. Although the lemon is not, as is commonly thought, the queen of vitamin C, its share is extremely valuable. In addition, the lemon contains B vitamins, beta-carotene, magnesium, sodium, iron and limonene, a very strong antioxidant. Instead of lemon, you can also use orange or lime juice.
5. Mint: if you like, add it for taste. It will give isotonic a pleasant refreshing and cooling aftertaste.
– 1 liter of still water,
– 4 flat tablespoons of honey,
– 9 g of salt,
– juice of two lemons.
– a few mint leaves.
As you can guess, there is no philosophy in the preparation of home isotonics. Squeeze the lemon juice, add the rest of the ingredients to it and mix everything in the shaker. Yes, the one in which you mix the protein supplement will be perfect for this. Domestic izotonik is an excellent alternative to popular isotonic drinks, which you can buy in the store. Prepare your version and start training. Power is in simplicity!