Cereal products are the basis of the diet of many of us. Bread, pasta, cereal or flakes almost every day land on our plates, which – in the absence of health contraindications – it is beneficial for our body. Contrary to the rules of many restrictive diets, eliminating cereal products from our diet is not a good idea, and what’s more, it does not make our weight fall magically. The basis of good nutrition, conducive to reducing body fat, is a varied diet, providing all the necessary nutrients, in which cereal products occupy a well-deserved high place. The problem is, however, in our choices – we love soft wheat rolls or white pasta. It is time to find out for whole grains, or the most nutritious ones. Let’s get to know the most important benefits of eating them.
Flour – the most important component of cereal products
To accurately assess the value of individual flours, please refer to with their types and types, as well as the way to receive.
To determine the type of flour, the name of the grain from which it was obtained is used – in this case we are talking about the two most important – wheat and life, because they are the most commonly used ones. The part of the name of the flour is its type (indicated by the appropriate numbers, e.g. type 450), in other words the amount of minerals, so-called. ash, expressed in grams per 100 kg of flour. In other words – the bigger the number, the more nutritious the flour is.
In this way, we divide wheat flour into the following types
– type 450 – cake;
– type 500 – krupczatka;
– type 550 – luxurious;
– type 650;
– type 750 – bread;
– type 1050;
– type 1400 – strainer;
– type 1850 – graham;
– type 2000 – wholemeal;
while the types of rye flour are
– type 500;
– type 720 – bread;
– type 1150;
– type 1400 – strainer;
– type 1850 – Starogard;
– type 2000 – wholemeal.
When choosing a flour one should follow one most important rule – its highest types are characterized by the highest content of vitamins and minerals as opposed to the lowest types that have been deprived of these precious ingredients in the purification process. Let’s look at the mechanism of the formation of particular types of flour.
Grain grain is made up of four main parts
– scales, i.e. fruit-seed coat, rich in fiber and minerals, whose task is to protect the grain;
– aleurone layer, protecting the endosperm and the embryo that abounds in protein, fiber, fats and vitamins;
– endosperm, providing carbohydrates and protein.
In the process of forming the flour of the lowest type, cereal grain is deprived of the most valuable elements of the husk, the aleurone layer and embryo. The production of wholemeal flour, on the other hand, consists in the whole grain being ground together with its major parts (listed above). This type of production also explains the color of individual types of flour – the more valuable ones are distinguished by a darker color due to the presence of external grains.
The most important types of bread
When we already have information on the types and types of flour, we can go to the division of bread.
Wheat bread, as the name suggests, is baked from wheat flour, most often with the participation of yeast. Due to the type of flour used, we distinguish ordinary wheat, graham and whole wheat bread.
Rye bread in addition to rye flour requires the presence of leaven to produce. Due to the slightly lower gluten content in this flour (compared to wheat), rye bread is characterized by a quite dense, heavy formula. An important feature of real rye bread is also the specific taste resulting from the presence of leaven. Among the rye bread we distinguish, for example, sieve, starogard or wholemeal bread, whose name results from the type of rye flour used.
The third type of bread is wheat-rye, in the production of which wheat and rye flour are mixed in various proportions.
Other types of cereal products
In addition to wheat and rye, cereals also include rice, maize, barley, oats, buckwheat and millet, and other cereal products, in which our diet abounds, we also exchange cereal, cereal and pasta.
Groats, i.e. edible cereal seeds in crushed form or only without hard husk, is a group of cereal products which has a high nutritional value.
The most important types of groats are
– buckwheat – one of the healthiest, high in protein high quality, similar to the quality of leguminous protein, also rich in carbohydrates, B vitamins, vitamin PP, calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium;
– millet – arises from the hulled millet grain, has deacidification properties, is ideal for people on a gluten-free and easily digestible diet, as well as for people suffering from joint ailments;
– barley – pearl barley, pearl barley and barley broken, is the most commonly eaten barley;
– maize – good for people on a gluten-free diet, it is a source of fiber, B group vitamins and also beta-carotene;
– manna – produced from wheat, is the second barley next to barley, as easily digestible it works well in children’s diets and people suffering from digestive system ailments;
– couscous – is made of durum wheat and is considered a product combining the features of groats and pasta.
Flakes are a frequent element of many of us breakfasts, the most important of them are Oat flakes – their health properties are innumerable, they are a good source of fiber, B vitamins, vitamin E, magnesium and selenium; help to lower the level of bad cholesterol, greatly affect the condition of the skin, hair and nails, in addition, they work on reducing diets and for a long time provide a feeling of fullness;
– barley flakes – rich in fiber, B vitamins, vitamin PP and numerous minerals – magnesium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron; fiber contained in them positively affects both the digestive system and blood circulation, reduces the level of bad cholesterol;
– cornflakes – great for people on a gluten-free diet, rich in protein, vitamins A, E and from group B, as well as fiber; during their selection it is necessary to familiarize themselves with the composition, because most of them may turn out to be a highly calorific product and not very healthy due to the additives used.
Pasta, among which you can mention wheat (including white and wholemeal), but also rye, rice, soy, corn, buckwheat, oat or spelled.
The number of cereal products that we can incorporate into your menu is huge. It is important, however, to choose the ones of the highest value – thick cereal, bread and whole-wheat pasta, brown rice or oatmeal.
This famous fiber – why is it so important?
One of the most important values of the so-called wholegrain cereal products are fiber. Although they are not the products that are the most abundant in this ingredient, they are its main source for many of us, because we eat the most of them.
Numerous scientific studies confirm that the change of the resulting products from white flour cleaned to wholefood, rich in fiber, it has numerous health benefits
– has a positive effect on the heart and cardiovascular system, because it regulates blood pressure and reduces the risk of numerous cardiovascular diseases;
– reduces the level of abdominal fat – according to scientists in people who excluded purified products and regularly consume these whole grains, its level is 10% lower;
– gives a feeling of fullness for longer, protects against attacks of hunger and unnecessary snacks, thanks to which it is beneficial in reducing diets;
– improves metabolism;
– regulates the level of sugar in the blood, protects against its sudden fluctuations, which is important especially for people suffering from diabetes, but also for others – thus protects against sudden fatigue;
– reduces the risk of diabetes – research results show that in people who consumed the most fiber contained in cereal products the risk of disease was 27% lower compared to the group of people who ate it the least.
High fiber content in whole grains is a huge advantage. It plays an important role in the prevention and control of various diseases, and it also helps to maintain a healthy, slim figure. This is an important feature for athletes and people on a reducing diet, for whom fat burning is a particularly important issue.
However, not all fiber is the same health – people suffering from inflammation of the stomach, pancreas, biliary and intestinal tract, gastrointestinal catarrhage or stomach and duodenum ulcers should give up from wholegrain products to their cleaned counterparts. With the mentioned diseases, excessive consumption of high-fiber products may cause or exacerbate abdominal pain, bloating or diarrhea.
5. Other nutrients contained in whole-grained products
Fiber, which has a positive effect on our figure and health, is not the only wealth of wholemeal products. They are also a good source of the following minerals and vitamins
– folic acid;
– vitamin PP;
– vitamins from group B.
An important issue also applies to the protein contained in flour – the higher the type of flour, the better it is in quality. This is due to the fact that the composition of amino acids in the grain depends on the way they are processed – darker flours are characterized by its much higher nutritional value.
How not to be cheated?
Today, the food industry in most cases puts for a short time and low production costs, not quality, which is why – contrary to appearances – it is not so easy to find good bread.
Manufacturers use various tricks that can confuse us
– coloring the bread to get the brown color characteristic of bread made from wholemeal flour – for this purpose, for example, caramel, malt or maltose syrup are used;
– sprinkle the bread with various grains, for example, with seeds or pumpkin seeds and sunflower, to get the impression of healthiness of their products;
– they use a catchy name, eg wholemeal bread (wholemeal is a name that Polish standards do not take into account – wholemeal bread does not have to be wholemeal bread, the correct names of bread types come from the name of the type of flour used to bake them – wholemeal bread, graham , Starogard, etc.);
– they describe the bread with the names of rural, traditional, multigrain type, which mean nothing and can only be bad counterfeit products, properly colored and sprinkled with grains.
So how can you not be fooled? Pay attention to
– the composition of real bread has in its composition flour of a certain type, water, salt, yeast or in the case of rye bread leaven and healthy additives, such as pumpkin and sunflower seeds, ground, oatmeal, poppy seed, sesame, bran. If the list of ingredients is longer and contains preservatives, stabilizers, dyes, improvers and other additives, the product has nothing to do with real bread;
– the bread structure is made from wholemeal flour and will not be fluffy and soft as white bread, and heavy, compact and clayey; in addition, it should not crumble, and its freshness is kept much longer.
Producer scams are also encountered in the case of pasta and flour. The first ones can be colored, whereas the flours are called the insignificant slogan full-grained. In both cases, the most important thing is to read the composition and check the type of flour and the presence of dyes.
Whole grains are extremely important components of our diet, rich in fiber, high quality protein and numerous minerals and vitamins.
In the absence of health contraindications, it is worth incorporating them into your diet. As confirmed by numerous scientific studies, their regular consumption will help us in a healthy weight reduction and maintenance, and also can protect against or relieve many diseases.
But let’s be smarter than dishonest producers – read the lineups and check the quality of the full milling products, because otherwise we can spend money on chemical counterfeits.